How do you make sure that you start a new year, a new month, a new week on the right foot?
I like to keep things simple. Here are five practical steps to start your New Year on the right foot so that you can achieve your 2016 objectives.
- STEP 1: WRITE A LIST BY HAND OF EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE IN 2016.
- STEP 2: RATE EVERY OBJECTIVE IN THE LIST.
1) On a scale of one to 10, one being the least important and 10 being the most important to you, ask yourself how important is it that I achieve this objective? We often have a growing list of what we want yet when we slow to reflect on the list, we often realize that there is really only one or two things that, at the end of the day, really matter to us.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, one being not committed at all and 10 being 100% committed, how committed are you to making this happen? Sometimes we feel we want things, but the reality is that we are not committed to taking the necessary action to achieve what we say we want. If you are not committed to something on your list , it is likely that you don’t really want it; a. And this is OK.
- STEP 3: CHOOSE THE OBJECTIVE THAT RATED 10 ON BOTH RATINGS AND WRITE IT ON A NEW PIECE OF PAPER.
Choose one or two objectives that you rated 10 in both importance and commitment level and write them oin your new piece of paper. Now pick a date on your calendar for when you want to check off the objective as “done”. Easy process right?
Selecting objectives that you are 100% committed to often makes it easier to achieve them.
- STEP 4: MAKE AN ACTION PLAN.
Now that you have identified your objective and you have confirmed your commitment, it is time to write your action plan. It does not need to be complicated but you do need to have one. List all of the required steps for your objective and set a target date for each step. Making an action plan is the first thing I do with my clients after we define their objectives. Having a list of all the steps involved in reaching an objective helps my clients to choose what to prioritize and keeps their objectives front and center. Additionally, crossing off steps as they get completed gives them a sense of accomplishment which in turn inspires them to stay on track.
Place your objectives and action plans where you can easily reach for them and review them daily to remind yourself of what you want to do and by when. Action plans should be reviewed and updated regularly so they remain relevant and accurate.
- STEP 5: SHARE YOUR OBJECTIVE WITH SOMEONE.
Once you have chosen your objective and you have outlined your action plan it is time to select someone to share him or her with so you have an accountability partner. Having an accountability partner is critical to achieving your objective as most people have a tendency to take more action when they are accountable to others. Your accountability partner can be a friend, a family member, your mentor, your coach or anyone you want to share your progress with. I am the accountability partner for my clients and they agree that having an accountability partner is KEY in achieving their objectives.
I truly hope that you will take some time to reflect on your 2016 objectivesand that you will fee inspired to follow these simple steps to get you started on the right foot. Choose ONE objective and COMMIT to it. You can use these steps every time you start a new objective.I would love to support you in achieving your objectives in 2016.
Helping my clients ACHIEVE their objectives is what I do best. Hit reply and share with me the goal you are committed to achieving in 2016.